Semi-Quantitative Meat Testing
Semi-quantitative species identification by Real-Time PCR + DNA sequencing
Eurofins offers a unique combination of two independent methods which render our method of semi-quantitative species determination exceptionally reliable: We use an ISO 17025 accredited real-time PCR approach and confirm the findings routinely with an additional independent DNA sequencing approach.
With the real-time PCR method we are able to detect high amounts or even very diminutive traces (<1%) of species present, and to measure the corresponding amount of DNA. Results are given semi-quantitatively as major/medium/minor/diminutive/very diminutive parts of present species DNA in relation to the total DNA measured over all species.
The real-time PCR assays used are highly specific and have very low detection limits for DNA input down to 1 pg per reaction. Taking the linear working range (2 pg - 20 ng) of most of the assays into account this corresponds to a theoretical relative LOQ of a species of 0.01%.
The routine analysis tests determine the following 3, 7, 8, 9 or 11 animal species:
• 3: Beef, Pork, Horse
• 7: Beef, Pork, Horse, Sheep, Goat, Chicken, Turkey
• 7: Beef, Pork, Horse, Sheep, Goat, Chicken, Turkey, Red Deer
• 7: Beef, Pork, Horse, Sheep, Goat, Chicken, Turkey, Donkey
• 8: Beef, Pork, Horse, Sheep, Goat, Chicken, Turkey, Duck
• 8: Beef, Pork, Horse, Sheep, Goat, Chicken, Turkey, Buffalo
• 9: Beef, Pork, Horse, Sheep, Goat, Chicken, Turkey, Red Deer, Donkey
• 11: Beef, Pork, Horse, Sheep, Goat, Chicken, Turkey, Red Deer, Donkey, Duck, Buffalo
It can be applied to broad range of samples: not only raw meat can be tested but also burgers and sausages, processed and cooked products.
In addition, by using DNA sequencing of mitochondrial genes with universal primers or additional specific Real-Time Assays, a lot of other meat species can be detected e.g.: kangaroo, venison, game, rabbit, hare, camel, ostrich, etc., further exotic animals and all edible fish and seafood species.
If you only need to establish whether or not a certain species is included in your sample, a qualitative species testing might also be applicable to your needs.